Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Malifaux Adventures

I am all about Malifaux right now. My local shop has been clearing out their stock of old metal models for dirt-cheap prices, so I picked up the Lady Justice crew and used them as practice models (painting and playing--though with the new cards and rules).


The orange bodysuit might have been too much, in retrospect. I'm experimenting with colors I don't use often. Orange is perhaps my least favorite color and seems to clash horribly with everything. This model didn't do much to change my opinion on that. In this, I was going for warm tones, with the contrast of the blue water below...

I might go back and change the bodysuit color, and maybe add some blue reflected light. WE'LL SEE how ambitious I get, especially since I have the new models to play with now.



As for playing the game, Lady Justice has been a mixed bag. Everyone seems very intimidated by her, and if you're lucky, she can dish out impressive amounts of damage. She is a total melee beast and wields a broadsword. Unfortunately, she doesn't have any ranged attacks, and so far she's done a good job of getting mown down from a distance before she gets to attack, despite my attempts to shield her on her journey.

It would probably help if I did some studying before my next game, memorized her and her crew's particular shenanigans, and picked out some upgrade cards to give her the correct boosts. Also, remembering to use those cards would help.

And, from a short workshop on the dip method of shading with Joe Neet, I did some quick and dirty work on these guys:
Object source lighting? I'll revisit it.

As practice models, I like them. I might use the bright turquoise as the pop color for my guild crews.

But now, I have new, shiny Malifaux babies to paint.






The Perdita crew, plus the female Death Marshall alternate sculpt, some Guild Guard, and the Santiago alternative sculpt, the female Santana. (I enjoy the number of badass female models included, though I do wish there was a little variety in body types for them.) The new plastics for Malifaux are so sexy. Every character is unique and packed with quirky details. This crew is much more shooty than Lady Justice, especially Perdita. She gets fun quick-draw skills, and all of the family has the "Companion" trait that allows them to activate in a domino effect to get a jump on the competition. Plus, Papa Loco carries dynamite and accidentally drops it on people, including himself. Hilarity will ensue. I'm excited for the Abuella model due out soon--grandma is in a wheelchair and carries a shotgun.

Also, played around with using cork board for basing for the first time. I love the effect, even if it's sort of an easy fix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment